At the second quarter of 2015, Google just introduce us new way to experience 3D VR (virtual reality) called Google Cardboard. What is so special about the cardboard? The answer is the price. Wearable headset to experience VR hype starting around year 2012, when Oculus Rift development kit successfully funded at Kickstarter. Since then many tech companies want to become the leader in such technologies.
More than 3 notable technology companies create devices to claim the title, we have Sony with their Morpheus, Steam HTC VIVE, Oculus Rift, Razer OSVR, Microsoft Hololens, etc. But to get one of those product in your head you need to pay around USD 350. And then the Google cardboard arrive, offering VR experience with just 20 bucks and your smartphone.
With cheaper product we can know cardboard disadvantages (price cannot lie). The cardboard disadvantage such as:
- Made from cardboard (not water / sweat resistance)
- Limited interaction with VR (only one button)
Those disadvantages makes Google cardboard like a child’s toy for hardcore gamers. But for marketing purpose the price can be advantage for widespread use, and some of disadvantage can be turned into powerful marketing tools.
How it can be done?
- As we mention above, the price of 20 bucks is far cheaper than its competitors. When we use device in on ground promotion / below the line promotion, we cannot avoid technical problem, or in the worst case, broken device. Buy 5 cardboards as back up is friendlier to your pocket. Not to mention you can always spare 1 back up cardboard to double the number of customers experiencing your VR advertising in parallel.
- Made from cardboard makes this cheap device is printable. Red, Blue, or Green, whatever color match with your event booth. If on some occasions, you let your customers to bring the cardboards to their home, they will be exposed to your brand every time they use it.
- Cardboard only has one button, but who needs more than that? For marketing purpose, most of your customers will not be geeks who needs 4 buttons or so in their VR adventure. What the customers need to do are just sitting, watching 3D immersive advertising, and push button to reply the video.
With this new device, your below the line marketing playground will be expanding. Creating brand new and unique experience for your costumer, and makes your competitor feels old school.